Today I go over how to make a sourdough starter, sourdough bread, sourdough recipes, and general tips and tricks in helping you along in your sourdough adventure.
At the beginning of the year I talked about some resolutions I’d like to go through this year and one was to get more into making sourdough bread. Little would you realize how sourdough starter leads you to making all kinds of other wonderful recipes that you might not have suspected to begin with like sourdough pancakes, biscuits, dumplings, even sourdough donuts, and many of the other tasty things that I go over in today’s show.
I hope you enjoy this episode as I have in putting it together.
TOPICS INCLUDED IN TODAY’S FERMENTATION PODCAST:
- What is sourdough and why is it called that?
- What is the science behind how sourdough works and which microorganisms are involved?
- What’s the difference between sourdough and a commercial yeast?
- How to make a sourdough starter from wild yeast using 3 different techniques
- How to make a sourdough starter from a starter you either bought or got from a friend that’s dehydrated
- Ratios of using your sourdough starter in bread recipes
- Instead of getting rid of your “throw away” starter that you end up with so often I go over sourdough recipes including:
- Sourdough bread & rolls
- Sourdough biscuits
- Sourdough cornbread
- Sourdough dumplings including a childhood memory of my grandma
- Sourdough pretzels
- Sourdough tortillas
- Sourdough crackers
- And some amazing dessert ideas to use your sourdough starter including:
- Cinnamon rolls
- Pie crust
- Sourdough donuts!
- Other uses for your sourdough starter
- Finally some tips and techniques to help you along with your sour dough starter
RECIPES MENTIONED IN TODAY’S SHOW:
- Grandma’s Sourdough Biscuits – Food.com
- Sourdough Pretzels from King Arthur Flour
- Sourdough Pretzels by Alton Brown
- Sourdough Pancakes – The Nourished Kitchen
- Sourdough Tortillas – The Elliot Homestead
- Sourdough Crackers – Ragamuffin Diaries
- Sourdough Pie Crust – Cultures for Health
- Sourdough Donuts – Chef In Disguise
- Sourdough Donuts (Vegan Version) – Practical Stewardship
LINKS FOR TODAY’S SHOW:
- Subscribe to Email (to get updates on blogs & new shows)
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher Radio (Android, iPhone, etc.)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow our boards on Pinterest
- Jane Campbell’s Fermenters Kitchen Website
- Jane Campbell’s Fermenters Kitchen FB Page
- The Kitchn – Making a Sourdough Starter from Wild Yeast
- The Fresh Loaf – Making a Sourdough Starter Using Pineapple or Orange Juice
- The Nourished Kitchen – How to Make a Sourdough Starter from an Established Culture
I’d love to hear your thoughts on today’s show so be sure to comment below or if you have an idea for the show, email me at paul at fermentationpodcast.com or just click on the Contact button on top of this page and fill out the form. I look forward to hearing from you!